Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wireless speed tests

In the comments to my post sruchris said:
Using the wifi on my 1001p, I'm only getting 1Mb/s download. When I use the wired connection, I get 5Mb/s.
So I tried a little speed testing by myself. As I have no server machine, NAS or the like in my home network I used a test FTP server of my ISP. I used a 72 Mb file. The 1001p downloaded at 2.0 Mb/s. My Thinkpad T61 notebook using b/g wireless had about same. When using ethernet the 1001p does 3.8 Mb/s and the notebook 4.2 Mb/s.

I think that's not so bad. My wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G and due to my old cables I still have 100 Mbit ethernet.

3 comments:

  1. Did a speedtest on my wireless with the new drivers. Results from Speedtest.net:

    Down: 20.05 mb/s
    Up: 10.57 mb/s

    Have no results with the old drivers (using ndiswrapper), but I had a pretty slow connection whereas now things are loading fast (as they well should with the internet we have here).Drivers make a difference, but so far I am happy with my 1001P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie is to Star Wars as Star Wars is to Star Trek. wifi speed test

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. wifi speed test

    ReplyDelete